THE VILLAGES / NA BAILTEAN
History and information / Eachdraidh agus fiosrachadh
LIONEL / LÌONAL
In September 1937, the new school at Lionel (Gaelic: Lìonal) was formally opened by Mr J. W. Peck, secretary of the Scottish Education Department, and set a standard for school buildings in Lewis. Up until June 2015, it consisted of a primary school and S1-S2 but the secondary school was closed by Comhairle nan Eilean Siar due to the low intake of pupils. The school has a swimming pool open to the public. Next to the school is the Spòrsnis community centre which contains facilities such as a main hall, fitness suite, sauna and a 10-pin bowling alley. A variety of activities take place in the centre from the Art Club to children’s activities, football and 10-pin bowling leagues. The centre has offices which are rented out and also produces the fortnightly community newspaper,Fios.
The Decca Station was located in Lionel until it shut down in March 2000. The building has now been converted into ‘The Decca’; a B&B and restaurant with two self-catering cottages.
The Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland is located in Lionel.
Further down towards the main road is Sallie Jayne Bridal and Tweed Garments, offering bridalwear and tweed garment design as well as many smaller items in the gift boutique.
The Decca: http://www.thedecca.co.uk
Anns an t-Sultain 1937, chaidh sgoil ùr Lìonal fhosgladh gu h-oifigeil le Mgr J.W. Peck, a bha na rùnaire aig Roinn Foghlaim na h-Alba, agus shocraich i ìre de mhathas airson togalaichean-sgoile ann an Leòdhas. Gu ruige an t-Ògmhios 2015, bha bun-sgoil ann agus roinn ÀS1-ÀS2 ach chaidh an àrd-sgoil a dhùnadh le Comhairle nan Eilean Siar air sgàth dìth sgoilearan. Tha amar-snàmh san sgoil a tha fosgailte don choimhearsnachd. Ri taobh na sgoile, tha ionad-coimhearsnachd ann air a bheil Spòrsnis agus tha goireasan aige mar am prìomh talla, ionad arrantachd, sauna agus ionad-bobhlaidh 10-pin. Bidh diofar ghnìomhachdan a’ dol air adhart san ionad, mar eisimpleir an Club Ealain, rudan airson cloinne, bàll-coise agus lìogan bhobhlaidh 10-pin. Tha oifisean san ionad a bhios air an toirt seachad air mhàl agus bidh e a’ deasachadh pàipear-naidheachd na sgìre – Fios – a bhios a’ tighinn a-mach gach cola-deug.
Bha an Stèisean Decca suidhichte ann an Lìonal gus an do dhùin e anns a’ Mhàrt 2000. Tha an togalach air a bhith air ath-nuadhachadh agus ’s e ‘The Decca’ an t-ainm a th’ air a-nis; Leabaidh is Bracaist agus taigh-bìdh le dà thaigh fèin-fhrithealaidh.
Tha an Eaglais Shaor Chlèireach ann an Lìonal.
Nas fhaisge air a' phrìomh rathad tha ‘Sallie Jayne Avis Bridal’, a’ tairgsinn aodaich-bainnse agus dealbhachadh èididhean clòtha cho math ri iomadh nì nas lugha anns a’ bhùth thìodhlaicean.
The Decca: http://www.thedecca.co.uk
LIONEL - HISTORY / LÌONAL - EACHDRAIDH
The Decca navigation system was based on radio signals sent by a chain of transmitting stations that were then picked up by special receivers aboard ships or aircraft. Until GPS it was the standard navigational aid for ships and aircraft operating round the coasts of Western Europe and the world. The Hebridean chain, which was the last one to be built in the UK, was completed in 1977. There were 2 transmitting stations in the Western Isles - at Lionel and on Barra.
In the mid 1990's the UK Decca Navigator transmitters were automated and controlled remotely from a central control room in Edinburgh, which removed the need for resident engineers at the stations. With this and the availability of GPS, the income to Decca was reduced and so at midnight on the 31st of March 2000, the Lionel Decca station was permanently shut down.
(Decca information taken from a Fios article, 7th April 2000)