THE VILLAGES / NA BAILTEAN
History and information / Eachdraidh agus fiosrachadh
HABOST / TÀBOST
Habost (Gaelic: Tàbost) is the (debated) capital of Ness. The village as it is now was established in ca. 1854. This was at the same time as the road was constructed from Stornoway to Port of Ness. Prior to this, the village was located some 300 yards nearer to the shore.
Habost is home to Ness’s local doctor’s surgery, run in conjunction with Stornoway under the name ‘Group Practice Stornoway and Habost’. Beside the surgery is ‘The Colour Factory’, selling arts and crafts materials.
Habost is the location of Taigh Dhonnchaidh, a local centre for learning traditional music, Gaelic singing, Highland dancing, and a variety of other cultural activities. Taigh Dhonnchaidh officially opened in July 2000 and the opening was attended by UK and Irish politicians as well as many visitors and locals. The ceremony started earlier in the day at Comunn Eachdraidh Nis with a number of guest speakers addressing the large crowd which included friends of the late Duncan Morison. The gathering was then led up the road by three local pipers.
"The property of 44 Habost was gifted to Comunn Eachdraidh Nis by Duncan Matheson Morison, shortly before his death in 1998 at the age of 92. The house is the oldest 'white' house in the district and was in need of extensive renovation. A small committee from the Comunn Eachdraidh was tasked with deciding what to do with it and John MacIver came to lead the project with Katie Mackenzie." (extract from Fios, Friday 28 July 2000)
Group Practice Stornoway and Habost: http://www.groupmedical.co.uk/
Taigh Dhonnchaidh: http://www.facebook/com/taighdhonnchaidh
Tiger Textiles: http://tigertextiles.moonfruit.com/
'S e Tàbost prìomh-bhaile Nis, a rèir coltais. Chaidh am baile, mar a tha e an-diugh, a stèidheachadh mu thuairmse 1854. Chaidh an rathad eadar Steòrnabhagh agus Port Nis a thogail aig an aon àm. Roimhe seo, bha am baile suidhichte 300 slatan nas fhaisge air a’ chladach.
’S ann an Tàbost a tha an lèigh-lann ionadail, a tha a’ ruith ann an co-bhann ri Steòrnabhagh fon ainm ‘Buidheann Leigheasach Steòrnabhaigh is Thàboist’. Ri taobh an togalaich seo, tha bùth ann air a bheil ‘The Colour Factory’ a bhios a’ reic stuthan airson ealain agus ceàrdan.
Tha Taigh Dhonnchaidh ann an Tàbost – ionad ionadail far am faodar ceòl traidiseanta, seinn Gàidhlig, dannsa Gàidhealach agus measgachadh de ghnìomhachdan chultarail eile ionnsachadh. Dh’fhosgail Taigh Dhonnchaidh gu h-oifigeil anns an Iuchar 2000 agus bha luchd-poileataigs Breatannach agus Èireannach an làthair cho math ri iomadh neach-tadhail agus muinntir an àite. Thòisich an tachartas nas tràithe san latha aig Comunn Eachdraidh Nis le grunn luchd-labhairt tadhalach ag òraid ri sluagh mòr a bha a’ gabhail a-steach caraidean Dhonnchaidh Mhoireasdain, nach maireann. An uairsin, bha an sluagh air a threòrachadh suas an rathad le triùir phìobairean ionadail.
“Chaidh an taigh aig 44 Tàbost a thoirt mar thìodhlac do Chomunn Eachdraidh Nis le Donnchadh MacMhathain Moireasdan, gu goirid mus do shiubhal e ann an 1998 aig 92 bliadhna a dh’aois. ’S e an taigh am fear ‘bàn’ as sine san sgìre agus bha cruaidh-fheum aige air ath-nuadhachadh. Fhuair comataidh bheag aig a’ Chomunn Eachdraidh an t-uallach dhe bhith a’ cur romhpa dè bha iad a’ dol a dhèanamh leis agus stiùir Iain MhicÌomhair am pròiseact còmhla ri Ceiteag NicChoinnich.” (earrann bho Fhios, Dihaoine 28 Iuchar 2000)
A’ Bhuidheann Leigheasach: http://www.groupmedical.co.uk/
Taigh Dhonnchaidh: http://www.facebook.com/taighdhonnchaidh
Ceòl a tha buntainneach don sgìre: http://galsonestate.pbworks.com/w/page/5401127/Music
Tiger Textiles: http://tigertextiles.moonfruit.com/
HABOST - HISTORY / TÀBOST - EACHDRAIDH
Norman Murray (Tormod Dhòmhnaill Thormoid Ruaidh) helped to pioneer the manufacture of lemonade within the island. He began operating at 44 Habost, in 1915, on an area of land known as 'an Tom Gorm'. In order to gain the necessary skills and experience, he was invited down to the capital to take a short course in the manufacture of lemonade and beverages. However, he was reluctant to spend time away from home and was impatient to get on with his business. Therefore, he opted to learn his trade from textbooks and practical experience.
With the country at war at the time it was difficult to develop the business as the goods required for successful manufacturing (such as sugar or bottles) were not readily available. He eventually received a regular supply of bottles from Hay & Sons (Aberdeen) which helped to greatly improve production. Local fresh spring water, particularly from Tobar Thàboist, was used in the production of the lemonade. The pails of water used would be carried from the local wells by various members of the Murray family. The first consignments of lemonade sold outside the district were purchased by several Stornoway households. By 1922, Ness Lemonade had gained a reputation for quality which was considered to rival any being sold in Stornoway.
Despite having to close down in 1939 when war broke out in Europe, a few years later an extra vehicle and floor space was needed for the expanding business. This was provided by their brother Lewis, at 34.
By the time Ness Lemonade ceased trading, millions of bottles had been bottled and sold without one serious complaint being received about the quality of Murray's soft drinks. Several of these lemonade bottles can be found on display in the Comunn Eachdraidh. (Criomagan Issue 5, Sept/Oct 1997)