THE VILLAGES / NA BAILTEAN  

 History and information / Eachdraidh agus fiosrachadh

EOROPIE / EÒRAPAIDH

Eoropie (Gaelic: Eòrapaidh) is the northernmost village in Ness, north of Fivepenny and Lionel. It has a long, wide beach (Tràigh Shanndaigh) on the west side which is accessible from the road which goes past the Playpark. The Eoropie Dunes Park grew out of an initiative by GAIN (Guth airson Iarrtasan Nis) which is a user-led voluntary organisation that designed and manages the Eoropie Dunes Park; a unique outdoor play and leisure facility. The park is free and open all year round. It was designed to be in keeping with the local environment and is a wildlife haven with a host of wild flowers, birds and beasties. Items to celebrate the local culture were added (heritage pole and plaque, information boards, standing stones and a stone circle) following a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Like many villages, Eoropie has several wells; Tobair Thinnabhig, Fuaran na Ciotag, Tobar Stoth, Tobar Ruairidh Bhig and Tobar an Teampaill. 

Tobar an Teampaill can be found west of Teampall Mholuaidh, or the church of St Moluag, on the east side of the main road. This fell into ruin but was restored in 1912 by Canon H.A Meaden of Saint Peter's Church, Stornoway.  Saint Moluag was a 6th century Irish Saint who lived around the same time as Columba. Outside the church, there is a Celtic Cross which serves as a war memorial to the men who gave their lives in the first world war. The decorative carving on the cross is similar to the intricate knotwork found on ancient Celtic stones. There are ruins of another temple, 'Teampall Rònaidh', about 500m north east of Teampall Mholuaidh and remains of a third temple, 'Teampall Pheadair', lie about 2km south west of Teampall Mholuaidh beside the old graveyard, near the village of Swainbost.

 

Butt of Lewis Lighthouse

In March 1998 the last manned lighthouse in the Western Isles went automatic. 

The Butt of Lewis Lighthouse was designed by David Stevenson, grandfather of the author Robert Louis Stevenson and engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board. The cost of building the lighthouse came to around £4,900 and was built by John Carr & Co of Ardrossan.

The lighthouse has been a prominent feature within the district of Ness since it was built in 1862. Over the years it has provided employment, has been a major tourist attraction and in many respects was amongst the first in Ness to have modern conveniences like running water, telephone and electricity installed. (Criomagan Sept/Oct 1996)

GAIN – Eoropie Dunes Park: http://gain-ness.co.uk/eoropie-dunes-park/

Teampall Mholuaidh Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teampall_Mholuaidh

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

’S e Eòrapaidh (Beurla: Eoropie) am baile as fhaide tuath ann an Nis, gu tuath air na Còig Peighinnean agus Lìonal. Tha tràigh fhada, fharsaing (Tràigh Shanndaigh) air taobh siar a’ bhaile a dh’fhaodar a ruighinn bhon rathad a tha a’ dol seachad air a’ phàirc-cluiche. Thòisich Pàirc Bhacainn Eòrapaidh mar iomairt le Guth Airson Iarrtasan Nis (GAIN). Seo buidheann saor-thoileach, air a stiùireadh le luchd-cleachdaidh, a dhealbhaich agus a tha a’ stiùireadh na pàirce – goireas cur-seachad is cluiche sònraichte air an achadh a-muigh. Tha a’ phàirc an-asgaidh agus fosgailte tron bhliadhna. Chaidh a dealbhachadh gu bhith a’ fighe a-steach dhan àrainn ionadail agus ’s e tèarmann fiadh-bheatha a th’ innte le pailteas dhìthein fhiadhaich, eòin agus bhiastagan. Chuireadh nithean ris gus an cultar ionadail a chomharrachadh (cabar dualchais agus plàc, bùird fiosrachaidh agus iomadach tursa) an dèidh tabhartas bho Maoin Dualchais a’ Chrannchuir.

 

Mar tòrr bhailtean eile, tha iomadh tobair ann an Eòrapaidh; Tobar Thinneabhig, Fuaran na Ciotag, Tobar Stoth, Tobar Ruairidh Bhig agus Tobar an Teampaill.

 

Gheibhear Tobar an Teampaill iar air Teampall Mholuaidh, no eaglais an naoimh ‘Moluag’, air taobh an iar a’ phrìomh rathaid. Bha seo na thobhta ach chaidh ath-stèidheachadh ann an 1912 le Canon H.A. Meaden bho Eaglais Naoimh Pheadair, Steòrnabhagh. Bha Naomh Moluaidh à Èirinn agus bha e beò san 6mh linn, mu thimcheall air an àm san robh Calum Cille beò cuideachd. Air taobh a-muigh na h-eaglaise, chithear Crois Cheilteach a tha na charragh-cuimhne airson gach fear a thug a bheatha anns a’ Chiad Chogadh Mòr. Tha an obair-shnaidhidh sgeadachail air a’ chrois coltach ris an obair-shnaidhme a gheibhear air seann chlachain Cheilteach. Tha tobhta de theampall eile, ‘Teampall Rònaidh’, suidhichte mu 500m ear-thuath air Teampall Mholuaidh agus tha fear eile, ‘Teampall Pheadair’, mu 2km iar-dheas air Teampall Mholuaidh, ri taobh an seann chladha faisg air Suaineabost.

 

Taigh-solais Rubha Robhanais

Anns a’ Mhàrt 1998, chaidh an taigh-solais mu dheireadh a bha air a sgiobadh anns na h-Eileanan Siar fèin-obrachail.

Dhealbhachadh Taigh-solais Rubha Robhanais le Dàibhidh MacSteafain a bha na sheanair aig an ùghdar Raibeart Louis MacSteafain agus a dh’obraich mar innleadair airson Bòrd Thaighean-solais a’ Chinn a Tuath. Chaidh an taigh-solais a thogail le John Carr & Co, Àird Rosain agus chosg e mu £4900 uile gu lèir gus a thogail. Tha e 121 troigh a dh’àirde.

Tha an taigh-solais air a bhith na fheart sònraichte ann an sgìre Nis on a thogadh e ann an 1862. Thairis air na bliadhnaichean, tha e air cosnadh a thairgsinn, tha e air a bhith na ùidh mhòr airson luchd-turais agus ann an iomadh dòigh, bha e am measg nan ciad àiteachan a fhuair goireasan nuadh, mar bùrn sruthach, fòn agus dealan air an stàladh ann an Nis. (Criomagan Sept/Oct 1996)

GAIN – Pàirc nam Bacann Eòrapaidh: http://gain-ness.co.uk/eoropie-dunes-park/

Teampall Mholuaidh Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teampall_Mholuaidh

UPPER BARVAS

Barabhas Uarach

BALLANTRUSHAL

Baile an Truiseil

UPPER SHADER

Siadar Uarach

LOWER SHADER

Siadar Iarach

FIVEPENNY (BORVE)

Còig Peighinnean Bhuirgh

HIGH BORVE

Am Baile Àrd

MELBOST

Mealabost Bhuirgh

SOUTH GALSON

Gabhsann bho Dheas

NORTH GALSON

Gabhsann bho Thuath

SOUTH DELL

Dail bho Dheas

NORTH DELL

Dail bho Thuath

CROSS

Cros

SWAINBOST

Suaineabost

HABOST

Tàbost

LIONEL

Lional

EOROPIE

Eòrapaidh

FIVEPENNY (NESS)

Còig Peighinnean Nis

KNOCKAIRD

An Cnoc Àrd

PORT OF NESS

Port Nis

ADABROCK

Adabroc

EORODALE

Eòradal

SKIGERSTA

Sgiogarstaigh

EOROPIE - HISTORY / EÒRAPAIDH - EACHDRAIDH

Tobar an Teampuill

Ancient folklore suggested that the water from Tobar an Teampuill had mystical holy powers.  In earlier times, the water from the well was undoubtedly used by worshippers visiting the Temple.  Many legends relating to the well and the Temple survived through passing on of local folklore and tales. The well continued to be the main source of fresh water for the villagers occupying the south end of Eoropie. Many local people were upset when the well structure was destroyed following road works which were carried out on the village some years ago. Some local people are still anxious to see the well restored to its former state.  (Criomagan Issue 5, 1998)

Butt of Lewis Lighthouse

"During World War II the lighthouse was attacked by a German aeroplane. There was no damage beyond a few broken panes of glass and gashes in the turf where bullets buried themselves harmlessly. The raider was seen from villages in several districts, sometimes flying so low that the markings could be distinguished. Even where the markings were not visible, the plane attracted attention by the great speed at which it flew." (Northern Lighthouse Board Magazine, 1976)

Shops

Over the years, Ness has had many village shops. Eoropie had 3.

 

Bùth Sheonaidh Shiurra: Small grocery.

Bùth Mhurchaidh Ghuinne: Pre 1900. Grocer/general.

Bùth Dhòmhnaill Iain Òig: Grocer/general merchants/bulk meal suppliers to Ness district. Established 1894. Meal was delivered by lorry. The business was continued by his son, Murdo, who also supplied household furnishings. They had 2 mobile shops, one of which was sold to Co-Chomunn Nis. Murdo’s son, Calum, continued to run the shop until it was closed in the early 1970s. (Criomagan March/April 1996).

 

Home    |    About Us    |    Crofting Information    |    News    |  Job Vacancies  |  Privacy Notice  

A company registered in Scotland - No: 273903

Companaidh Clàraichte an Alba

 
A registered Scottish Charity - No: SC036903

Carthannas Clàraichte an Alba

 

 

 

Copyright © 2019 

Urras Oighreachd Ghabhsainn | Eilean Siar | Alba

Galson Estate Trust | Outer Hebrides | Scotland

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle

Urras Oighreachd Ghabhsainn
Business Centre 

Graham Park

South Dell

Isle of Lewis

HS2 0SP

 

Tel: 01851 850393
Email: office@uogltd.com


Ionad Gnìomhachais

Pàirc a' Ghreumaich

Dail bho Dheas

Eilean Leòdhais

HS2 0SP

© 2019 by Galson Estate Trust. Proudly created with Wix.com